No More Headline Drama
While there is some amount of latitude for Bloggers, there is still much work to be done for headlines.
For instance one may come across a picture that one could not find in ages. If it is a school picture you would not necessarily write ‘My School Picture.’ Instead write ‘Picture Found At Last!’
A quotation from someone can be used as a headline. If it is too long and you can’t include the person’s name, put the quote in single quotation marks.
The headline of an opinion piece can reflect what you are thinking but if you are working as a reporter the headline should not be stated as if it is an instruction from the medium. Let us say a group or political organization has decided to protest nationally about a crucial issue. If you write ‘Let Us Take To The Streets,’ it will appear as if you are part of the campaign team for that group.
A question can be used as a headline. If someone dies under circumstances that could have been avoided, a possible title is “Why did Jamie Jones have to die?” You then provide the information that you have gathered. Here you are grabbing the reader’s attention to read the entire story instead of writing a headline that literally blurts out the information before one reads the article. The caution you exhibit in not writing libelous statements in an article or report must also be adhered to in a headline.
A headline asking a question can also be based on a speculative piece. This is where you will discuss and share the opinions you have on the question used for the headline.
Don’t be too concerned about needing to take the time to work out your headline. There is an added bonus. You will notice if there are any libelous statements, irrelevant information, gaping holes and grammatical or spelling errors. It may even indicate that you need to put on your investigative hat and do more work. The analysis will also help you to consider if important information is buried too far in the story and should be moved up.
If you want to write on a hot topic make sure the headline has in the key words that will attract readers. Be in the thick of things, not when the topic is fast becoming yesterday’s news. For sure practice makes perfect and the more headlines you write the better you will become at it.
- OTHER FEATURED ITEMS -
- Top 10 Website Copywriting SecretsTop 10 Website Copywriting Secrets
Successful website copywriting is very different than traditional copywriting.
Based on what actually works best --and does not work-- from writing dozens of websites for our clients, here are our Top 10 website copywriting secrets. If you apply them, your website will be a major marketing success for your business and its bottom line.
1 What’s in […]
- Copywriting ProceduresCopywriting Procedures
Within this article on copywriting procedures, we will look at how to structure your copywriting when working for a client. There has been a great deal of copywriting done through the years and it is not necessary to reinvent the wheel every time you want to write copy. We will specifically be focused upon the sales letter because this could have the greatest […]
- Earn 2 times more from your Blog
If you are using blog and article writing, ad spaces, and paid reviews to make money, then you may also be leaving a huge chunk of money on the table. We can show you a way to earn two time more money from your writing and ad promotions by promoting affiliate programs.
You can use automated keyword linking in your blog and article posts that will go to specific affiliate […]
- What's Your Brand: Market Your Way into a New CareerBusiness today is getting more and more competitive each year and in order to gain real money entrepreneurs need to begin leveraging special skills, experiences and talents.
Many entrepreneurs can take advantage of the new opportunities that technology has opened up in the recent years by honing their skills. One of the main areas in which Entrepreneurs can find a lot of great […]
- Have a Business, Have a Website, But How Do I Get Traffic?Website positioning gains an enormous advantage once the correct way to gain targeted visitors to your website is learned. As nice and convenience as Pay-Per-Click (PPC) ads are, this option could grow a bit pricey if your not getting conversions or sales from that traffic. Organic search engine traffic could take a while to build momentum, however, it could lead to real earning […]
- How A Publisher Will Turn A Manuscript Into A Book} How A Publisher Will Turn A Manuscript Into A Book} - If youve tried to get your written manuscript published before, youll know how hard it is to get things done in the publishing world. There are many possible pitfalls that include copywrite problems, editing and even marketing your book correctly. Simply writing a book is not enough, regardless of how good it may be. With the […]
- Copywriting JobsCopywriting Jobs
There are a great deal of copywriting jobs out there today. Within this article today, we will look at the future of copywriting jobs as well as where you can find more information.
The number of copywriting job is enormous. As of February 10, 2007, if you did a keyword search of "copywriting", there were 509 open jobs. This is only a small part of the market and […]
- Book Publishing From A Book Publisher's Point Of ViewBook Publishing From A Book Publisher's Point Of View
Many writers aspire to write books. Writing a book is a long, involved, difficult process. Book publishing is harder. A writer may submit his book repeatedly only to be turned down. The writer may eventually succeed. Wouldn't it have been easier to get published the first time? Is that possible?
You can improve your chances of a […]
- Help To Understand The Freelance World Of Copywriting ServicesHelp To Understand The Freelance World Of Copywriting Services
Companies are beginning to outsource many of their tasks and jobs to outside companies as a way to save money on overhead. One area in which there has been a growth of freelance jobs is with copywriting services. As more companies outsource their writing and marketing divisions, more jobs are created. There are great […]
- Indian Writing Instrument Industry Moving Towards Global ExposureIndian Writing Instrument Industry Moving Towards Global Exposure
The Indian writing instruments market today is still on the path of discovering new niches with ergonomic designed products, promotional marketing items and luxury items but in the coming years it is bound to grow tremendously not only domestically but also in it's exports immerging as world leaders in Writing […]